Adventures in Learning
This program provides a way to grow, learn and enjoy various speakers. A combination of educational and entertainment, participants come together and share each other’s company over coffee and lunch.
Volunteer during the school year to read to first graders at the Cannon Falls Elementary school. Once a week you’ll enjoy spending time and reading with these young people! This is a program we also provide books to the school and a hardcover book at the end of the year to each first grader. For more information, contact the Cannon Valley Senior Center at 507-263-2136
Help at the Senior Center
We need help at the Senior Center office from time-to-time. Let us know if this is your specialty and you’d like to volunteer! Our hours are 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Monday thru Thursday.
Cannon Valley Fair
We are in need of many volunteers to help work the gates of the Cannon Valley Fair, July 1st through the 3rd each year. Feel free to work together with family and friends!
Program Opportunities at the Cannon Valley Senior Center: What is Your Specialty?
We like to feature senior adults who volunteer their life experience and skills to benefit the community. Whatever your background or area of expertise, we’d love to have you share your skills by volunteering through the Cannon Valley Senior Center. Let us know your thoughts and ideas!
The Senior Center has Internet access and computers available to the public. Senior adults are encouraged to stop by and use the computers anytime during regular business hours. Assistance is also available if you’re new to computers and classes are held annually for computer beginners.
Health & Fitness
The Cannon Falls Boomers "Senior Softball" team is open to men and women age 55 and over. Year round Pickle Ball is also offered through the Cannon Valley Senior Center and the public is invited to exercise in the gym adjacent to our office! The gym is available for pickle ball, walking, strolling, and jogging or even to shoot a few baskets! Bring soft soled shoes and enter through door B of the Cannon Community Center.
Volunteers are available through AARP for assistance in filling out your tax returns. For appointment during tax time, call the Senior Center at 507-263-2136.
The Cannon Valley Senior Center conducts many day trips throughout the year and a couple of longer trips as well. In the past, we have had trips to the Smokey Mountains, Cape Cod, Nashville, Savannah, Washington D.C., San Antonio and Branson. Day trips have included the Minnesota Arboretum, Minnesota Twins, Fall Colors, Timberwolves, Chanhassen Dinner Theater and more. Let us know if you have ideas on some interesting trips.
Each year we feature a major concert at the Cannon Falls Auditorium as a fund raising event. In the past we’ve featured Tim “The Fiddleman” Watson… Bob Wootton… Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder, Caitlyn Smith, the Nelson Brothers, plus John Mueller’s “Winter Dance Party” and “One Night in Memphis.” We can always use volunteers to help plan and work our fund raising concert event.
The Cannon Valley Ensemble
The Cannon Valley Ensemble was formed in September 2019 and is under the umbrella of the Cannon Valley Senior Center. The members of the Ensemble are from Cannon Falls and surrounding Cannon Valley Communities. Our mission is three-fold:
- Bringing instrumental Music to Senior Citizens and also to the less fortunate Citizens of the Cannon Valley.
- Sharing instrumental music, music education and our love of band with the youth of the Cannon Valley.
- Helping the members of the Ensemble develop their talents and realize the joy of playing their instruments in a band.
All are welcome to join the Ensemble. Our emphasis is on woodwind and brass instruments, but we also value other types of instruments. Our "season" is from September through May each year. We practice on Wednesdays at 1:00pm at the Senior Center.
Cannon Valley Singers
Participants in the Cannon Valley Singers enjoy the music and the camaraderie that go along with participation in this group. The group meets weekly and sings an exciting variety of secular music. The group sings two part music and is accompanied by Piano. This group does not require an audition or previous chorus experience.
Other Sponsored Programs
- AARP tax preparation – CVSC makes appointments
- Adventures in Learning – Programs of interest to the community held at St. Ansgar’s with lunch following
- Bean bag toss – Played in the gym
- Book Buddies –A program where seniors read to elementary students
- CVSC sponsored concert for the community in August
- Cannon Valley Ensemble – If you play an instrument, you are welcome to join
- Cannon Valley Fair – Manning the gates (CVSC fundraiser)
- Cannon Valley trail ride – Golf cart ride and lunch for seniors who can’t walk or bike the trail
- Card and game days
- CCIC dinner –CVSC sponsors community dinner in August at the First Congregational Church
- Computer stations and internet use for the community
- Concerts - Occasionally
- Day trips – Minnesota locations by bus
- Days for Girls – Preparation of feminine hygiene supplies for girls around the world
- Dress a Girl Around the World – CVSC sewing group makes dresses for children
- Educational classes and workshops
- Hallway walking – During hours the CVSC is open
- Hotdog giveaway at Family Fair – CVSC’s Community Appreciation Day - Last Saturday in September
- Open Air Fair – CVSC participates in this Chamber of Commerce event in the summer
- Open houses – Occasionally
- Pickleball – Played in the gym
- Pie social – CVSC sponsored event for the community
- Picnic in the Park –CVSC sponsored event for the community in June with food and entertainment
- Potlucks - Occasionally
- Quilt Club
- Senior Softball
- Thanksgiving dinner – St. Pius – CVSC sponsored event for the community
- Trips – Diamond Tours – Cities in the U.S. and Canada
- Twins baseball games – Once or twice a year
- Veterans Day program – St. Ansgar’s – John Hobert honors community veterans